Monday, December 13, 2010

Sauted Tuna and Veggies Over Rice

I've noticed a lot of the Pagan blogs I follow include recipes. I love to cook and I've enjoyed some of the blog-land offerings, so I thought I should reciprocate with and offering of my own. This dish is one of my main go-to's. It's not only quick and delicious, but it's cheep! (I know, right?)

(Keep in mind that this is one of those “to taste” recipes!)

This recipes usually takes me 15 minutes from start to finish.

Ingredients:
1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 medium shallot (diced or sliced)*
1 cup frozen peas (or any green veggie - baby spinach is really good)
2 medium carrots (medium dice)*
1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Canned tuna*
Salt and pepper to taste


3-4 sun dried tomatoes

1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter

Cooked rice (I use 1 8.5 oz bag of Uncle Ben’s ‘Ready Whole Grain Medley’ brown & wild rice)**



Directions: (Think of this almost like a stir fry dish.)
Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium/medium-high heat.

Add all of the veggies, the meat, and the salt and pepper to the hot oil.
Sauté until caramelized. The idea is to keep the carrots firm.
Add basil, pepper flakes, and deglaze with lemon juice.
Continue to sauté until reduced.
Remove from heat and top with butter to finish.
Cook the rice as directed on the package. Toss everything together in a bowl, and enjoy.

**To show the versatility of the dish, I served this over pasta in stead of rice. It works just as well, and you can top it off with a little parmesean cheese.



You can also finish with a toated sesame seed oil for a nuttier flavor.



*Any of these ingredients can be fresh or frozen or canned. (Tuna can be replaced with crab.)

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite dishes, especially when I am in one of my "eat healthy" phases:) For the tuna you might want to give Wild Planet Foods a try. Their canned seafood is all sustainable, making it low in mercury and higher in Omega 3s, plus their cans are BPA free! That's my two cents, looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete